Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Reese is being publicly humiliated by Mr. Herkabe, which leads him to depression. Malcolm puts his ego to the side for a minute to help him. Meanwhile, Dewey has a crush on another girl at his school.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Malcolm and Reese end up in the same class since Reese failed the previous year. Mr. Herkabe, who may lose his award for the school's highest GPA to Malcolm, gleefully humiliates Reese every day until Malcolm agrees to start getting lower grades in his classes, thus enabling the wicked teacher to keep his crowning achievement. Malcolm initially agrees to get Herkabe to stop tormenting Reese. However, in an air of confidence, Herkabe makes a big mistake: he casually confesses to skipping P.E. his senior year and rather created his own AP course as an alternative. Taking this into account, as Malcolm watches Mr. Herkabe leave his sight, he, using his brain, decides to tell the new school principal, Mr. Hodges, as revenge.
Meanwhile, Jamie's new babysitter, Claire, drives Lois crazy with her nonstop talking. When Lois tells her to go away and stop bothering her, she locks the front door. However, Claire appears from the back door, thanking for being honest in expressing her hatred because they now know they have problems. She is willing to let Lois talk about them, much to her dismay. The next day, Claire has died and her sister Donna pays the family a visit. Soon she starts annoying them with the same non-stop talking.
The next day, Mr. Herkabe is seen begging the janitor not to revoke his title just because he missed one year of Gym. He ignores it and removes Herkabe's name off the plaque. The janitor gives it to Mr. Hodges, who returns the plaque to Edna Thornby, the school's previous record holder, who still managed to pass physical education despite being blind and club-footed. Malcolm is seen pleased by his humiliation as Hodges points out that that P.E. is part of the curriculum and a requirement for the GPA award. Had Herkabe taken P.E., his award and title would've been safe. Because of Malcolm, Herkabe has lost his award and been publicly humiliated and disgraced in front of the entire school. He then storms away to notify his mother about everything before she hears about it from elsewhere.
Meanwhile, Dewey has a crush on a girl named Gina at his school. Hal's attempt to help him break the ice with her. He give Dewey candy to give Gina, but it gets him into trouble with her father and he points out that she is allergic to nuts. Later on, he blames Hal for ruining his chances with Gina, getting him into trouble with her father and driving away from the scene when he needed his help. Hal attempts to apologize, claiming that the father intimidated him so much that he had to flee. Dewey rejects the apology and points out that he knows better than to believe him. He tells Hal off that he wished that Lois helped him instead because she would know how to deal with people. Dewey wants him to stop butting in his life and leave him alone. Realizing how angry Dewey is with him, Hal attempts convince Gina to talk to him by bribing her with candy without nuts and apologizes for getting her sick. She ignores him and an elderly neighbor named Mrs. Conlin witnesses this exchange. She calls the police to report him, believing him to be a child molester. Hal is arrested by the police for being a child sex predator with intent to sexually molest Gina. He tries to defend himself, claiming he was trying to convince her to talk to his son and he's not a sexual predator. In the end, Dewey is able to talk to Gina.
Herkabe decides to retake Gym to reclaim his award, despite it being twenty years after. A grateful Reese then hits Herkabe with a dodge ball. This makes him fall down and the students begin laughing at him. No sooner does Herkabe stands up, Reese hits him another dodge ball. Due to his lack of coordination, he endures more humiliation from Reese, who continues pelting him with dodgeballs as revenge for all of Herkabe's prior mistreatment of him. A smug Malcolm tells the viewers that true victory comes from the heart rather than from trophies like the GPA plaque, and that is something that can no one can ever take away.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jane Kaczmerek as Lois
- Bryan Cranston as Hal
- Christopher Kennedy Masterson as Francis(credit only)
- Justin Berfield as Reese
- Erik Per Sullivan as Dewey
- Frankie Muniz as Malcolm
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
Recurring[edit | edit source]
Cameo[edit | edit source]
- Hospin as a Student Reporter(uncredited)
- Steve Vinovich as Mr. Hodges
- Kathryn Joosten as Claire
- Mimi Cozzens as Donna
- Vanessa Marano as Gina
- Kevin Will as Gina's Father
- Fiona Hale as Edna Thornby
- Tom Lent as Janitor
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- First appearance of Mr. Hodges who replaces Mr. Block as North High School's principal.
- Final appearance of Mr. Herkabe.
- Rapper Hospin makes an uncredited appearance as a student photographer.
- This episode reveals Herkabe's lack of coordination. The last episode that alluded to it was in Cliques
- This is the last episode that has both the main characters' names as the title. The first time was in Malcolm vs. Reese and the 2nd time is in Malcolm Films Reese
- The song that plays while Reese is doing the monkey dance was "Love Machine" by The Miracles.
- Originally Mr. Block from Dirty Magazine was supposed to return in this episode and profanely call Herkabe out for flunking Gym. Then to just piss him off, Block fires him from his job as a teacher and gives the high GPA award to Malcolm.
- This is the last time Hal got arrested on his own. The last three times are Charity, Garage Sale and Reese Joins the Army: Part 1.