Synopsis[edit | edit source]
After knocking out a burglar, Reese turns to law enforcement academy, believing that he has a future as a police officer.
Elsewhere, Craig is laid up by injuries, thanks to being chased into traffic by Dewey's dog. Rather than spend his insurance money on a nurse, he gets Oliver, a Capuchin monkey "butler"--who's actually deranged and homicidal.
Francis is laid off and left with no choice, he and Piama leave Alaska, leaving Eric behind in revenge.
Plot[edit | edit source]
In the cold opening, the boys are watching a documentary about rockets and Reese claims how the astronauts would be squashed by the force instead of becoming weightless. Malcolm goes into detail about the rotational velocity of the earth and how fast it is rotating around the sun and hurdling away from other galaxies due to the expansion of the universe. Reese holds on to the couch arm for the speed of rotation and Dewey enjoys the ride they were unaware that they were already on.
One night, a burglar tries breaking into the house. Hal tries to get up to confront him, but gets tangled in the bedsheets leaving Reese to come in and knock the intruder out. Reese enjoys the praise he gets from Lois and the police, especially after they give him a community award, and decides his future is in law enforcement. He starts patrolling the neighborhood stopping people from causing trouble, however he soon begins to rule the residents with an iron fist, dealing out brutal punishments for minor infractions. However, he takes it too far when he smashes Lois' car window when she refuses to move it for pedestrians. She is last seen trying to climb a tree to get a hold of a now terrified Reese. Lois is taken down by the cops when the neighbor complains about her and she is arrested once more.
Hal is put out that he wasn't able to do anything about the burglar and had to leave it to his son, and is determined to prove how tough he can be. He goes out looking for a fight, but finds the bruiser hanging around an ATM simply wants to warn him about the money he has sticking out of his pocket. He later intentionally steals a car parking space, and is ready to fight the guy who he pulled in front of, but quickly flees when he learns the man is in a wheelchair and he'd accidentally parked in a disabled space. Dewey is left terrified at the idea someone could break in and is unable to sleep, and in turn keeps Malcolm awake every night. As the days wear on, Malcolm starts to lose his mind.
Elsewhere, Craig is laid up by injuries, thanks to being chased into traffic by Dewey's dog. Rather than spend the insurance money on a nurse (per Lois' recommendation) he instead gets Oliver, a Capuchin monkey "butler". For a while, he does exactly what Craig asks of him, including making tea for Lois when she visits. But soon, Oliver is revealed to be deranged and homicidal as he quickly starts abusing Craig, such as forcing him to eat hot lasagna, making him a milkshake with drain cleaner in it and forcing him to drink it (Craig manages not to drink any, setting the thermostat to uncomfortably high levels, and locking him in the house. When he tries to warn Lois, she gets angry at Craig thinking he's making excuses so he can move in with her again. She reminds him about her previous warning in being sensible in using the money to hire a qualified nurse and leaves him. When Craig tries to call 9-1-1, Oliver cuts the call short. Fortunately, Hal comes to Craig's rescue by defeating the monkey and also restoring his self-worth to be macho.
As Francis, Eric, Artie and Pete bemoan their lousy job again, Lavernia suddenly arrives and fires them all. All the trees have been chopped down so the loggers are moving on, while the entire area is about to be bulldozed and drilled for oil. Francis finds out that his home is scheduled for demolition, but Piama refuses to leave telling Francis she isn't as brave as he was when he journeyed to Alaska. Francis tells her it wasn't bravery that led him to Alaska but stupidity, but he also knows he was lucky in that it allowed him to meet Piama. He assures her that his 'stupid luck' will make sure they're ok, and Piama's last few fears are put to bed when she sees the settlement check. As a result, they finally bid farewell to Alaska, leaving Eric behind to hitchhike his way home.
End result, Hal happily reads Dewey a bedtime story of his exploits, which finally helps him and Malcolm finally fall asleep.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jane Kaczmerek as Lois
- Bryan Cranston as Hal
- Christopher Kennedy Masterson as Francis
- Justin Berfield as Reese
- Erik Per Sullivan as Dewey
- Frankie Muniz as Malcolm
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
Recurring[edit | edit source]
- David Anthony Higgins as Craig Feldspar
- Eric Nenninger as Eric
- Brenda Wehle as Lavernia
- John Ennis as Artie
- Sandy Ward as Pete
- Emy Coligado as Piama
Cameos[edit | edit source]
- Steven Barr as a Deputy
- Thomas Lumberg Jr. as Amos
- Jesse D. Goins as Officer Smith
- Albert Owens as Officer Jones
- Ivan Naranjo as Ivan
- Al Rondon as Scary Burglar
- Kenneth Dolin as a neighbor
- J. Grant Albrecht as Tough Guy
- Michael Horse as Steve
- Crystal the Monkey as Oliver(uncredited)
- Philip Daniel Bolden as an eight-year-old kid
- Curtis Williams Jr. as a skateboarder
- Micah Henderson as a batter
- Dion Overstreet Jr. as a pitcher
- Elijah Rencorn as Kid #1
- Dylan Cash as Kid #2
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Craig's age is revealed to be 36.
- Last episode to have the season 1 intro where in the next episode, most clips are changed for the most part.
- Craig is in a wheelchair and bandages and mentions that this is because Dewey's pet dog attacked him. This is a continuation of the events of the episode Dewey's Dog, where Craig's last appearance was being chased out of the house by Dewey's new pet guard dog.
- Hal withdraws money from an ATM on this stage street on the premises of the CBS Studio Center. It has previously been used, e.g. in Sleepover and Water Park.
- Final appearance of Eric in the series.
- Out of the recurring characters, Eric was one of the few characters that was given a reason he was dropped from the show. He was trying to hitch a ride with Francis and Piama so they can take him home to Texas. They ignored Eric and left him to hitchhike home as revenge for suggesting to find work in Alaska. The others that would follow are Otto, Cynthia and Jessica.
- Francis and Piama drive past Bernard, the hamster in the orange ball that Dewey had set free in the episode Health Scare. This is its fifth and final appearance in the series ("Health Scare", "Poker", "Reese Drives", and "Hal's Birthday").
- The parking lot used for Hal's altercation with the man in the wheelchair is located on the CBS Studio Center grounds. It was previously used as the Tri County Fair site in Carnival.
- In Dewey's Opera, Hal reveals he's afraid of monkeys. The events of this episode might have caused that fear.
- This is the final appearance of Lavernia, Artie and Pete.
- This is the third time Lois has been arrested on her own. Her first arrest was in Traffic Ticket and her second one was in Book Club. The arrests that will follow occur in Reese Comes Home and Halloween.
- In one of the scenes in Craig's house, he is seen watching the Brisbane 2001 Goodwill Games, which probably means that all of Season 3 was filmed before the September 11 attacks.
- The song that plays during the monkey's final attack was "Denmark" by The Chemical Brothers.
- While Francis and Piama are driving, the song that was playing on the car radio was "Sweet City Woman" by The Stampeders.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Hal: Craig You in There. What happened
- Craig Behind You
- Hal: What The Hell Wrong With That Monkey
- Craig He's Crazy
- Hal: Well He Pick The Wrong Guy To Mess With. Take That You.
- [Police officers are called in as Lois has chased Reese up a tree]
- Reese: Officer in need of assistance. Repeat, OFFICER IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE!!
Errors[edit | edit source]